Traditional Ladle Refining Furnace (LRF) is used to de-sulphurize steel, adjust its chemical composition and raise the temperature of molten metal besides as a buffer between the melting and casting equipment. Electrotherm Refining Furnace (ERFâ¢) is specially designed metallurgical equipment to de-phosphorize steel besides preforming other processes as done by LRF. It facilitates tapping at lower temperature, which in turn increases production and refractory life of melting equipment and reduces power consumption, thereby reducing the cost of steel making. ERF provides greater flexibility to steel maker in overall plant operation. The concept is user friendly and can produce high quality structural steel, low alloy steel and other value added steels through Induction Furnace â ERF route using even very high percentage of sponge Iron / DRI as raw material.
Electrotherm Refining Furnace with ELdFOS process is used for the following:
- De-phosphization of steel by as much as 50 points
- De-sulphurization of steel by as much as 50 points
- Removal of metallic inclusions to make clean steel
- Reduction of gas content by feeding Aluminium / CaSi wire to produce âkilledâsteel. Oxygen level of 30 ppm can be obtained
- Homogenization of temperature and composition of molten steel by gentle stirring
- Degassing treatment of steel to achieve low gas content (oxygen, nitrogen and hydrogen)
- Holding of molten steel while sustaining temperature / superheating for sequencing on the CCM
- Specially designed system for removal of slag with phosphorus.
- Use of Servo valves and hydraulic cylinders for electrode regulation provides very precise control ensuring electrode consumption as low as 0.3 -0.4 kg/ ton
- SCADA based PLC control for electrode regulation system provides impedance control, anti-resonant control, auto deadband adjustment, etc., ensuring precise control of power and virtually constant power from input
- Reduces flicker and harmonics and improves power factor up to 0.90 even without any compensation
- Ease in operation due to stationary electrode arms and moving ladle car, which is maintenance free and faster for taking sequence heat.
- High level automation through PLC. Once the process parameters are set, ERF operates automatically with high level of consistency
- Rate of superheating after stabilization of temperature in the ladle can be up to 4.50C/min
- SCADA based controls for gas purging system, with imported flow meter, pressure control valves and flow control valves for Argon purging minimizing the use of argon gas and achieving uniform temperature gradient through molten steel
72, Palodia, (Via Thaltej), Ahmedabad, Gujarat, 382115, India